Design Technical Director
The Within Design Group (WDG) is a highly specialized team of artists and designers working cross-platform on all of Within’s products, projects and R&D initiatives. We are a creatively driven group that is focused on high-end visual production and user experiences across multiple mediums and technologies. Collaborating closely with the product and engineering teams, we share a passion for creating groundbreaking experiences in virtual and augmented reality.
The WDG is seeking a motivated and adventurous Design Technical Director, who will act as a bridge between the artists and the engineers at Within. As a leader this person will own large initiatives, which will include establishing internal/external art production pipelines and creating workflows and artist tools.
The impact you'll make:
The Design Technical Director is expected to have extensive technical and artistic versatility, and will assume ownership over any technical issues on their projects and drive them to resolution. This person will work closely with the heads of the design, product and engineering teams, and ultimately play an integral role in pushing the boundaries of what is possible in the VR/AR space.
What you'll do:
- Establishing internal/external art production pipelines, processes and workflows.
- Defining the teams technical needs to carry out the creative vision of Within’s products, projects and R&D initiatives.
- Creating, acquiring and integrating the best internal/external art production tools.
- Establish the vision of WDG products, projects and R&D initiatives from a technical art perspective.
- Working in partnership with senior leadership, as well as the heads of design, product and engineering teams to establish strategic objectives and meet visual/technical standards.
- Determining enhancements and resolving complex issues with innovative solutions.
- Managing and mentoring artists on pipelines.
- Remaining informed of the newest technical developments and applying them to projects whenever applicable.
- Assisting with optimization and performance efforts.
- Contributing to the overall vision of Within’s products, projects and R&D initiatives.
What you'll need to be successful:
- At least 5+ years of experience as a 3D creative/technical artist or in the video game sector.
- A deep understanding of game-engine rendering and optimization techniques and solutions.
- Experience establishing art pipelines and workflows.
- Experience leading high-performing teams of artists.
- Experience working with Unity and other game engines.
- An aptitude for problem solving and finding solutions with difficult technical constraints.
- Proficiency in 3D workflow processes including texturing, lighting, modeling and rendering.
- Experience creating plugins, customizing 3D tools for Maya and/or Blender.
- Professional experience with VR/AR.
- Experience in Substance Designer/Painter, Houdini, Maya or Blender.
- Experience with node-based shader creation.
- Experience with C#.
Bonus points for:
- Professional experience working in CG.
- Professional experience with Visual Scripting and System Design.
- Experience with Compute Shaders.
Within’s mission is to shape the future of virtual and augmented reality (VR/AR) through experiences that connect and inspire.
Since our founding, in 2014, Within’s goal has been to expand the potential of immersive storytelling. To date, Within has created and distributed some of the world’s highest-end VR/AR experiences through the ‘Within’ VR app (available on Oculus and Steam), the AR children’s reading app ‘Wonderscope’ (available on iOS) and through location-based VR experiences in collaboration with artists such as Pharrell and OKGO.